Thursday, September 17, 2009

Menus for September 17-20

While I plan typically to set my menu and grocery list early in the week, I must get through this weekend first.
My son Andrew is with Mimi and Granddad today, so he's eating there. I have leftovers in the fridge for me today. My husband David returns home from business travel tonight in time for dinner. This means I need to have dinner. So, just need to plan one meal today.

~Thursday~
Dinner
-Tomato Corn Soup (recipe below)
-Crusty bread (from the bread machine - love fresh, warm bread!)
-Fish en Papillote (fish cooked in a bag in the oven) - depends on what the market has that looks good today; Thursdays are usually good - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sara-moulton/fish-en-papillote-recipe/index.html
Steamed broccoli

Tomato Corn Soup - American Heart Association Cookbook p52
Serves 5
1 t. Olive oil
1/2 C. chopped onion
14.5 oz. can whole tomatoes, crushed
17 oz. can cream-style corn
2 C. milk
1/2 t. bouquet garni, optional
1/2 t. salt-free all purpose seasoning
1/4 t. salt, optional

Heat oil in large heavy sauce pan over medium heat. Sauté' onion for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In food processor or blender, puree onion and tomatoes. Return mixture to saucepan.
Puree corn and add to tomato mixture.
Increase heat to med-high and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
Sitr in remaining ingredients. Increase heat to med-high again and bring just to boiling. Serve.


Including this recipe brings a few things to mind:
1. I will include links to recipes instead of typing whenever I can.

2. I have amassed a cookbook collection that covers the top of a large section of my upper kitchen cabinets. I love reading cookbooks and looking at the pictures. I will read them like a novel and usually try a recipe or two, but then it goes into the collection and I return to using my standards: Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook (the red/white check covered one - a classic), Now Serving (the most recent from the Junior League of Wichita Falls), American Heart Association Cookbook (AHAC - a gift after David had a heart attack several years ago), Landmark Entertaining (from the Junior League of Abilene), and The Complete Vegan Cookbook (a newer tool, but I have found it so much easier to try to cook healthier by starting with this book).

3. When using canned vegetables like tomatoes, I tend to use no-salt added or low-salt when I can. Milk is 2%. I usually try to pick up the products with the least additives, and I prefer to cook from scratch when I can. I'm working my way up to using tofu and soy products. Have tried a few and it's been hit and miss.

4. Foodnetwork.com is a great recipe resource. I included a link for the fish.


~Friday~
Breakfast is usually oatmeal or eggs and toast both options with fruit. I rarely ate breakfast before Andrew came along, but he's here and he's hungry, so we eat breakfast together. I rather enjoy it, but don't tell my mother.

Lunch is a planned lunch date with my some of my favorite women. I'll send pot pie leftovers or a sandwich with David, and Andrew is with Mimi and Granddad again.

Dinner is an easy one. David referees high school football on Friday nights, so he's not home until late, and he doesn't like to eat before. Andrew would eat ramen noodles just about anytime of the day or night, and David loves them post-game with an egg drop broth. So, Ramen noodles it is.

Snacks with Andrew in between meals usually consist of the following options in whatever combo he comes up with: yogurt, apples, bananas, grapes, pears, oranges, kiwi, goldfish, cheerios, raisins, craisins, crackers, cheddar cheese, tortillas, peanut butter, peanuts, pitacchios, you get the picture. I am fortunate that he will generally eat whatever we eat, and I pray that it continues to be so.

Dessert after dinner is frequently a scoop of ice cream in a bowl or in a miniature cone. I try to buy the purest version with the fewest additives. Breyers is the brand of choice lately. No HFCS.

~Saturday~
Breakfast as usual.

Lunch - We have a workday in the park at Andrew's school, and they are feeding us hotdogs.

Dinner - Before we head to the park, I will beak out the slow cooker and start supper.
-Slow-Cooker White Chili (recipe below)
-Tortilla Chips
-Cheese and Salsa
I like to crush the chips into the bottom of the soup bowl, then add a little cheese before ladling in the chili.


Slow-Cooker White Chili AHAC p224
Serves 6
1 lb. skinless chicken thighs
1 lb. dried navy or Great Northern beans, sorted and rinsed (about 2 1/4 cups)
6 C. chicken broth
8 oz. chopped green chiles
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 fresh jalapeno, seeded & minced (I'll be using poblano)
2 t. ground cumin
2 t. dried oregano
1/8 - 1/4 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. cayenne
Garnish with: Salsa, Light Sour Cream

Rinse and pat chicken dry.
Put beans in the slow cooker and add chicken and remaining ingredients. Cook on high for 10 hours, or until beans and chicken are tender.
Remove and discard bones from chicken; return meat to chili. Serve in bowls topped with salsa and sour cream.

~ Sunday ~
Breakfast as usual.

Lunch
-Waffles
-Bacon
-Fruit

We have a standing ritual of going to Pioneeer, a great local diner, for brunch right after church on Sunday mornings. Andrew loves this place, and he almost always has their pancakes or waffles. I've been rtying to convince him that we can make those at home, but he hasn't caught on yet. So, when I made the Bisquick pot pie, he saw the Bisquick box that has a picture of pancakes. He said, "Oooh, Mommy! Pancakes! You have pancakes in that box!" So, this Sunday, I'm breaking out the waffle iron and really surprising him.

Dinner
Sunday nights are easy days at our house. We eat sandwiches and/or leftovers. If David gets a taste for something he'll heat up the grill. So, leftovers and sandwiches it is!

This gets me through the weekend. Just need to hit the market to make sure I have the needed items. Here's to eating at home this weekend.

Day 3 and counting...

1 comment: