Monday, November 30, 2009

Routine

It's the last day of November. It was back to school and work today. After a really lovely Thanksgiving holiday, it is nice to get back to a routine. I am a routine person, although I have tried to deny it for years. Patterns are soothing. I could be OCD, but I'd have to rename it CDO, so that it's in alphabetical order as it should be. I kid, but I understand it is a real disorder. And I do have tinges. It's genetic. (Thanks, Mom!)

Anyhoo, Shane's visit was great. Friday morning I made migas for brunch. As I indicated in an earlier post, my friend Brenda introduced me to migas years ago on a antique shopping trip. We stayed overnight with her friends Bob & Becky, and Bob cooked migas for breakfast the next morning. Fantastic! Had to ask how he made them. When I got home, it took me a couple of tries, but I finally got the hang of it. After that I started seeing migas on menus around Texas. Had they always been there and I just hadn't noticed because I had no idea what they were? Possibly. It's been so long now, I don't remember exactly how Bob made his, but in my version (serving 4), I start cooking about 1/2 pound of chorizo (fresh Mexican sausage, not the cured Spanish kind) in a skillet over medium to medium-high. Once it starts to render, I add some chopped onion, poblano pepper, and red pepper. Once the sausage is cooked and the veggies are softened (I like a little bit of carmelization), I add chopped corn tortillas (or crushed corn chips) then I add about 4-6 lightly beaten eggs and cook until the egg is just about done. Then I add shredded cheddar cheese (to taste), put a lid on the pan for a few seconds till the cheese melts. I serve with warm flour tortillas, extra cheese, pico de gallo, salsa, refried beans, and fried potatoes, or any combo thereof. It has become "my" brunch dish.

Friday evening, we ate out at a steak house. We saw our sweet friend Steph, ate some great food, and had no dishes to wash! Yea!

On Saturday, we went to Sevi's, a local family-owned shop that serves excellent Mexican food. It is a favorite Saturday morning breakfast spot of ours. Andrew introduced Shane to the Sevi's burrito by sharing a bite, but David & I had the migas, and Shane tried their menudo and a carnitas taco. It's all wonderful.

Saturday night, while Andrew and I put ornaments on the tree that David and Shane put up, David and Shane cooked dinner. David brined and grilled pork chops, and Shane cooked broccoli and Gorgonzola mushroom risotto. Shane raved about the chops. They were juicy and tender and perfectly grilled. David was so excited to have a new brining convert in Shane. After the loonnnggg weekend of eating rich foods, we decided that we need to go back on our healthy eating regimen and get back to exercising. For now, however, we are slowly eating up the yummy leftovers. December shall be healthier. Really. Seriously. No laughing please.

A cold front is blowing in now. We are expecting a high tomorrow in the mid-40's and possibly some messy stuff along with it. Brrr. Love cold weather. And the timing is perfect since tomorrow is December 1. I'm thinking about putting on a pot of red beans and a pan of cornbread. Or a pot of potato soup. Hmm... Need to go raid the fridge & pantry and see what's cooking for tomorrow. Also need to sit down and make a menu for the month. Got to get back into routine. Patterns are soothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment