Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Welcome, December

We had a real winter cold front move in today complete with some precip and highs in the low 40s. So, of course, all day I wanted soup of some kind, but I did not want to get out in the weather to go to the market. I didn't put beans on in time and the two potatoes that were in the basket were looking a little suspect, so back to the Vegi Soup mix. This time I cooked a little chopped bacon in a medium sauce pan over med high, added chopped onion, carrot, poblano, and red bell pepper and sautéed until soft and slightly browned. Then I added 3/4 C Vegi Soup Mix and 3 C chicken broth and a couple of handfuls of frozen edamame beans. Brought it all to a boil and then simmered on low for about an hour. Hmm hmm good. (Oops! That's a different soup.) It turned out soo well that we polished of the whole batch at supper. I served it with the last of the heat & eat rolls from Thanksgiving. I could've eaten another bowl if there'd been some left. David and Andrew enjoyed it also. So, I made notes and into the notebook it goes. That dried soup mix is a great staple to have on hand.

Andrew and I came across a cookie article in a parent magazine. It was based on The Nutcracker Suite. Really cute too. But there was a spice company ad on an opposite page with a recipe for gingerbread cookies. Andrew made cookies at Mimi's house not long ago, but they had used a mix (those were some tasty cookies too). So, we decided we needed to make gingerbread cookies. It was fun showing him how to cream the butter and sugar, and he enjoyed getting to dump the ingredients in as I measured. He was the official counter and announced that he will be a "counter" and "speller" when he grows up. Music to a mother's ears. He was a little bummed that we had to let the dough rest in the fridge for a while. It was so late by the time we got the dough together that we will wait until tomorrow afternoon to roll, cut, and bake. "Patience, Grasshoppah."

There was another food article in that magazine that discussed a healthy food pantry and cooking at home. Hmmm. I didn't get to finish reading it, but it is always reassuring to know that I am not the only one who is concerned by HFCS in food that we, but especially my child, may consume. I'm not a complete "granola" as a friend of mine puts it, but I'm looking to be healthier. I really need to kick the soda habit. Again. I had been soda-free for a couple of years before I got pregnant, but when I was pregnant, I CRAVED Coca-Cola so badly. I finally caved after he was born and had one on occasion. After I finished a year of breast-feeding, I got hooked completely. This is sooooo bad for me. I've done it before, I can do it again. For me, it's a matter of going cold turkey. I just have to make up my mind, pick a date, and do it. Once I start, it becomes a "thing" to have one, so it gets easier. Just a matter of deciding.

I understand the weather will be chilly again tomorrow, but no freeze expected. If so, I'll drop by the market to get potatoes when I'm out taking Andrew to school. I have a great recipe that I developed myself. I love soup weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment