Friday, August 6, 2010

Quick lunch

Summer has been a busy time for us. David has been able to work from home a bit, I've got some projects going, Andrew and I love going to the water park whenever we can, and our schedules have just imploded. Fortunately, we've been able to eat in (mostly) so our eating routine has been pretty stable. But because I'm needing quick meals, I'm not doing many "grand" meal prep.

Lately I've taken to steaming and/or prepping lots of veggies to stash in the fridge, ready to be used in the next meal concoction or to be nibbled between meals. It's amazing what a kiddo will eat if they think they're "sneaking" it. Andrew will eat all kinds of food that he appropriates from the cutting board while I'm prepping veggies, even the very same ones that would cause him to recoil in disgust when beautifully presented on a plate for dinner.

A couple of nights ago, using veggie broth, I "sauteed" steamed cauliflower, steamed broccoli, onions (shh, don't tell Andrew!), yellow squash, green peppers, mushrooms, fresh spinach, and capers, seasoned it all with Bragg's Amino and a little ginger. Served it with spaghetti tossed with a little pesto from a jar. Yes, I know that pesto's not vegan, but I had it on hand and the boys like it. Andrew would eat it every day if I let him.

Today for lunch, I still had several prepped veggies so I did a quick version of the same without the pasta, and it was delicious all over again! Easy.

Yesterday, I had a grilled vegan-cheese sandwich. I used Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds and Earth Balance "butter". It was good. I'm a little leery of veganized foods. The problem for me is, if I liked a non-vegan food enough to seek it out it's vegan substitute, then I likely have a strong taste memory for it, thus anything that doesn't taste the same and or have the same mouth feel is probably not going to do it for me. However, I read a review about this cheese, and it noted that there is a California pizza restaurant that uses it in a popular vegan pizza with great success. This was totally worth the try. It tasted liked cheddar. Melted like cheddar. Made a great sandwich. Since it is still fattening like cheese, I'll use it only occasionally, but it is good to know that I have an option.

I used to love cheese, and it's hard to move on from it for several reasons. 1) Tex-Mex uses LOTS of cheese. For those who know me, that's self-explanatory. 2) There's still cheese in the house regularly because of David and Andrew so I'm reminded of it. 3) Sometimes, there's nothing tastier (or quicker) than grilled cheese sammie and tomato soup or red beans. 4) Pizza.

OK. Now I'm off to do a load of laundry, pick up the living room, and figure out what's for dinner.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a pesto fan, so I had to goog to see why pesto is not vegan. Shocking, I say!

    Found this, though:
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/yummy-vegan-pesto-classico/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. I will try it! I love basil. I have a huge planter of it at my front door. Love it.

    ReplyDelete